Healthy Diet For Pilates
Your chosen diet for Pilates is just as important as the workout that you do. Losing or gaining weight is not just about the exercise. It is also about the food that you eat. No matter what you choose as your workout routine, you will only maximize the benefits if you get the right nutrients in your body.
What to eat after a Pilates workout
So what diet is perfect for Pilates? There is really no definite diet but there are a couple of suggested food and drinks that you need to eat after a Pilates workout. Here are some of the things that you need to remember.
Keep yourself hydrated.
You need to help your body recover by making sure you stay hydrated all the time. You want to avoid drink that is filled with sugar. That means soda is out of the question. Fruit juices are also not advised because there are fruits that have a high sugar content. You can drink flavoured water but it should have electrolytes and vitamins that are appropriate for a post-workout drink. You can add strawberries, cucumbers, lemon slices and other fruits in your drink to added flavour and nutrients.
This is a great post-workout snack. However, it is advised that you stay away from those with added sugars. You can add fresh fruits like strawberries and even some dark chocolate on your yogurt.
A slice of whole wheat bread can also be included in your diet for Pilates. This will help your body recover after a tiring Pilates workout. You can add peanut butter spread. An almond butter spread is also a great alternative. This snack can refuel your body effectively with the right fiber and vitamin content. You can add banana slices to make this snack healthier.
This will help you feel full after a good workout. This is rich in protein and it can be paired with vegetables like carrots. You can also dip pita chips or tomatoes to add more vitamins and minerals into your diet for Pilates.
How to have a healthy diet
Your diet is the best way for you to live a healthier lifestyle. If you really want to turn your life around, you should consider these tips so you can effectively transition into a healthier diet.
- Your calorie intake should be the same as the energy you consume. So if you lead an active lifestyle, make sure you consume enough so your body has the energy to burn. Ideally, men should consume 2,500 calories a day while women should have 2,000 calories a day.
- Eat a healthy balance. Do not eliminate anything because your body needs a lot of nutrients.
- Carbohydrates should take up one-third of your meal. This contains fibre and will effectively make you feel full and less likely to eat more. You get carbohydrates from rice, pasta, potatoes, and cereals.
- Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Ideally, you should have 5 portions of fruits and vegetable every day. You can include fruits and vegetable in the three main meals that you eat every day. You should also snack on it in between meals. Have a banana or an apple. You can also eat carrot sticks.
- Increase your intake of fish. Make sure you eat the oily part of the fish too. Fish like tuna, mackerel, salmon, trout, sardines, and herring have omega-3 fats that will help keep your heart healthy.
- Decrease your sugar and fat intake. Take note that you should not remove it completely. You just have to regulate it. Saturated fat is still needed in our body but it should not go beyond 20g to 30g every day. This can be found in biscuits, cake, cream, hard cheese, butter, and pies. It is better to have unsaturated fat like avocados, vegetable oil or omega-3 fats. For the sugar intake, try to avoid alcoholic drinks, cakes, sugary cereals, pastries, biscuits, fizzy drinks, etc.
- Keep your salt intake to 6g or less a day. Salt can increase your blood pressure and it can also retain water in the wrong places.
Remember all these tips as you come up with your diet for Pilates. A combination of a healthy diet and regular PIlates workout, you will soon get the ideal body that you desire.